Saving Versioned Documents
To save documents that have been versioned, users must first decide whether to save the document as the current version or as a new version.
Save a Versioned Document as the Current Version
To save a document as its current version, users can perform a Check Out operation on the document, work with the file locally, and then perform the operation Check In to upload the document back into fileplan. If the document is a Microsoft Office application, then the fileplan Addins can also be used to bring up the Save Dialog, where the user can choose the operation Save.
Save a Versioned Document as a New Version
A number of options exist to save a document in fileplan as a new version of the existing file.
To duplicate an existing document and save it into fileplan as the next version of a document, for ensure that the check box for the document is ticked (1), select the Details pane and the Version button (2) and finally the option Duplicate as Version (3). All fileplan details of the selected document as well as the file itself, will be copied and saved as the next version of the document.
To simply choose to save a new version of the selected document, ensure that the check box for the document is ticked (1), select the Details pane and the Version button (2) and finally the option Upload as Version (4).
Users will then be presented with the facility to upload a file which will be saved as the new version of the selected document. Drag and drop a file from your computer to the section in the middle of the page, or click in this section to browse to a location for the file. Once the file appears, click Upload Document. The uploaded document will be saved as the new version of the document.
In addition, the fileplan Addins in Microsoft Office provide the facility to save new versions of controlled documents.
Clicking on the Save button will present the user with the Save Dialog which allows them to choose the folder location where the document will be saved and the Field information to be assigned to the document.
The existing title for the document is displayed in Title.
(1) Preset searches (Recent, Favourite, Flagged and Checked Out Documents) can be used to find documents already within fileplan. A list of libraries is also available for selection.
(2) If a Library has been selected and this Library contains a List, then the List values will appear for selection.
(3) If a Library has been selected, this section enables the user to select the Folder where the document will be saved.
(4) The list of documents in the selected Folder or preset search are displayed in this section.
(5) The user can choose a number of different methods to save the document in fileplan. To save a document as a new version of an existing version controlled document, select the option Save as Next Version.
(6) Before saving the document the user should enter relevant details about the document using Fields that have been assigned to the selected Library. These fields are available by clicking on the Details tab of the Save Dialog.
After an operation to save the document has been selected, a popup message will report the success of the operation.